John Chapter 9 in which a blind man is healed by Jesus

Poems and stories written by our chatroom friends who want to share their feelings

Moderator: ForumMods

sarah_aus

John Chapter 9 in which a blind man is healed by Jesus

Post by sarah_aus » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:06 pm

This is my interpretation of John Chapter 9, and how I feel it is relevant to me, metaphorically.

I felt for a long time that perhaps I had done something wrong, that I was being punished or something to that effect, I realise that it is not the case, thankfully, I truly believe that good can come from this difference, that there is reason.

In this story, Jesus heals a blind man. In the thinking of the Jews of that day, those who were with physical ailments were so because of sin; either the sins of the parents giving children a physical defect, or the sins of the person himself or herself. Jesus explained that this was not the case.

1As he went along, he saw a man blind from birth. 2His disciples asked him, "Rabbi, who sinned, this
man or his parents, that he was born blind?"

3"Neither this man nor his parents sinned," said Jesus, "but this happened so that the work of God
might be displayed in his life.

Right away, Jesus makes it clear that diseases, illnesses, etc., are not caused by being sinful.
Rather they are gifts from God that at first seem like curses.

There are many similarities between this story and what a transsexual person experiences when they transition. After the man is healed, his neighbors are uncertain of if he is the same person --

8His neighbors and those who had formerly seen him begging asked, "Isn't this the same man who used
to sit and beg?" 9Some claimed that he was.
Others said, "No, he only looks like him."
But he himself insisted, "I am the man."

The man's parents refuse to defend him, his neighbors gossip about him, he is told that he could not possibly have been healed because he is a sinner, and eventually he is thrown out! Perhaps it would have been better for him to simply stay blind than to be healed and be the recipient of so much rejection? But the man sees the healing as a blessing, because his blindness was a heavy toll in his life.

In the next part of the story, the healed man and Jesus are talking with one another.

39Jesus said, "For judgment I have come into this world, so that the blind will see and those who see
will become blind."

40Some Pharisees who were with him heard him say this and asked, "What? Are we blind too?"

41Jesus said, "If you were blind, you would not be guilty of sin; but now that you claim you can see, your guilt remains.

This is important because it is saying that those people who had physical sight but refused to see the blind man as anything but a sinner were blind themselves (spiritually), while the physically blind man could see (spiritually). What happens in our bodies is important, but what is in our hearts and minds is even more important, I may be physically male, but inside and spiritually, I am female already.

Instead of seeing my transsexuality as a gift/curse from God, I should see my womanhood as being the gift. Many women take their bodies and their gender for granted; I instead see more clearly what my gender and being female is. Who knows what this opens up for me... perhaps it means I will meet wonderful people I never would have met otherwise. Perhaps it means I will be inspired to help women in some vital way. Perhaps it is just an existential transformative experience. In the blind man's case, it was good because it allowed him to experience a spiritual transformation with Jesus at his side.

Yet I realise that I also have trials ahead: To forge ahead with bringing my body in alignment with how I see Myself, even if it has its limits, or to experience healing and joy in life even without physical transition. In both cases, healing is not going to be a one-time, "I'm healed!" thing, but a continuous journey.

You might have noticed that blind people don't just suddenly start seeing these days. Yet we have doctors and scientists spending their lives working on procedures and technologies to give sight to the blind. In fact, there are many terrible physical and mental conditions that people live handicapped by, as well as those seeking to cure it. Sickness appears to be a part of life, but even if we believe it is God-ordained, that does not mean that sickness is the end goal.

sarah_aus

Re: John Chapter 9 in which a blind man is healed by Jesus

Post by sarah_aus » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:14 pm

This is a letter posted to a religous fundamentalist stating that being gay is a sin.... quoting leviticus 18:22 as the argument, it is a rather well written letter and offers some good arguments if you are so inclinded to wish to beat your head against a brick wall arguing with religous fundamentalists (no offense to any who are fundamentalist - this is directed at people who do not or will not accept diversity)

The Bible contains six admonishments to homosexuals and 362
admonishments to heterosexuals. That doesn't mean that God doesn't
love heterosexuals. It's just that they need more supervision.

" Dear Religious Fundamentalist: Thank you for doing so much to
educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from
your self righteous speeches, and try to share that knowledge with as
many people as I can.

When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I
simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an
abomination. End of debate. I do need some advice from you, however,
regarding some of the other specific laws and how to follow them.

1. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a
pleasing odor for the Lord - Lev.1:9. The problem is my neighbors.
They claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in
Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair
price for her?

3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in
her period of menstrual cleanliness - Lev.15:19-24. The problem is,
how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offence.

4. Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and
female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend
of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can
you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus
35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated
to kill him myself?

6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an
abomination - Lev. 11:10, it is a lesser abomination than
homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I
have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading
glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room
here?

8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair
around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev.
19:27. How should they die?

9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes
me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two
different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing
garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester
blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really
necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town
together to stone them? - Lev.24:10-16. Couldn't we just burn them to
death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with
their in-laws? (Lev.20:14)

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident
you can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is
eternal and unchanging

Dantor
Admin
Admin

Post by Dantor » Thu Nov 03, 2011 4:46 am

very interesting! but this needs to be shorter! (as asked in my starter thread)

please make "part 2" threads ;)

pinkatheart1

Post by pinkatheart1 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:57 am

Dear friends, I have always been like this a woman at heart, but as other stories, I have heard, There was 'no way out'. I gave my life to the Lord as a child, and due to the machination of man in churches, I have been to, I suppressed my feelings. However they came out many different times for periods, and I thought by 'their' standards, I was 'weird'. However to jump to the point, When in 1987 I gave my life again to the Lord, I marked this date as the real beginning or date to remember. I had to come to an understanding with the Lord, that I had to accept his word as true, and that as his word says that even " the word kills but the spirit gives life', and that he would send the Holy Spirit to 'teach us and lead us in 'all' truth, and when asked what is truth, he said 'Thy Word is Truth'.

So after trying many other venues so to speak, I firmly decided to give my life to him, and I let him know that I had to have an attitude of 'even' if none of it was true, that after my years of research into other 'ways' I would at the end of my days have lived my life to the best 'standard' I could have.

So after many years of service in 'His' name, I have discovered and been delivered of many things... but this does not seem to be one of them.. nor can I find reason in the mercy he has shown me to hold this a 'evil' for me or others. However it is the way I am. Paul the Apostle to the Gentiles, said in romans, "That which I would do I cannot do, and that which I would not do, I do. I know that he did not come and die for my sins to just wisk it off, and be done with me... He said "See I have 'You' written in the palm of my hand, I will never forsake you or leave you.", And again He said that he does not send forth His Word, and but that it goes forth and returns having achieved that which he sent it out to do. However, not to try and justify myself in these things I do, I rather lean on him and as the Woman who asked for something for her child, and When Jesus said to her, 'Woman it is not right that the 'dogs' should eat from the master's table, and she answered Him "But Lord, even the 'dogs' eat the 'crumbs' from the master's table."
A man may lay down his life for a friend, however when he died for me, I had not clue for many many years, that he had done this for me. So in my belief in an 'Awesome' Saviour, I cannot believe that he would die for my sins just up to that day... and leave me hanging... No in James, it says that 'He is faithful and Just to forgive us for our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness'. There even in my realization, and frustration, I know he is a Merciful God, much more understanding than the 'Churches' would let us understand... Forgive me if I sound passionate, I believe I have suffered for a reason... again only he knows now... and until that day... But I am very angry to find that we have to rely on 'other' ideas of 'God' because of prejudice, and discriminations.... and misunderstanding of 'our' needs, and lives... which keeps some from doing that which needs be done in our society and the world. :oops: :cry: :D