Here are terms which are important to know in the Transgendered community.
- Someone who likes and respects the Transgendered. Used more pejoratively in some circles to mean a skirt-chaser.
- Acronym - Assigned Female At Birth.
- Acronym - Assigned Male at Birth.
- The combination of masculine and feminine characteristics, look, identity and/or lifestyle.
- A sexual response in biological males characterized by sexual arousal over the thought of being or becoming female.
- Little or no sexual attractions and practices.
- Is a person who feels that their gender is fully male & fully female, generally by switching between the two. For some people, the switch is between two very distinct genders, which some consider to be separate "facets" or "personas". For others, the switch is much more fluid, with more of a grey area. Transitioning is a difficult idea for many bigenders because it is difficult for a bigender person to achieve a presentation or body that allows them to be comfortable in both genders. Also see Gender Fluid
- Clothing used to cover/hide breasts. Often used by FtMs.
- Attractions to female and male.
- Butterfly Woman
- English translation of the Native American term for a transgendered MtF.
- What you are if the body you were born with and your gender presentation (clothes, mannerisms, etc) are aligned.
- The belief and treatment of transgender and/or transsexual people as inferior to cissexual (non-trans) people.
- Someone who dresses as the opposite sex as they are, either in private or public. Often related to a sexual fetish.
- Drag Queen
- A male identifying with female/feminine but for whom the female persona is often a show or public display.
- Drag King
- Female counterpart of a drag queen.
- The removal of facial hair or genital hair by means of an electrified probe inserted into the hair follicle.
- (Facial Feminization Surgery), reconstructive surgical procedures that alter the typical male facial features to bring them closer in shape and size to typical female facial features.
- Full Time/FT
- Being, living as a Transgendered all the time, at work, at play, 24/7/365.
- F2M, FtM
- A person who was born a female physically but transitions to a male.
- Gafe, Gaff, Gaffe
- Garments/underwear designed to hide/cover/minimize a penis (used by MtF). Also used by male ballet dancers.
- Individuals that do not feel that they fit into either female or male.
- Gender Dysphoria
- A negative feeling toward one's current gender presentation.
- Gender Fluid
- Moving between genders. To relate to neither female or male but drift between the two, sometimes more to male and other times relating more to female but never fully one or the other.
- Genetic Girl. Born female and having a female self-identity.
- Gender Identity Disorder. A diagnosis made by psychologists and physicians that indicates a patient is feeling significant gender dysphoria.
- GRS/Gender Reassignment Surgery
- see SRS
- Attraction to the opposite sex/gender.
- Attraction to the same sex/gender.
- Medication (usually pills or shots) prescribed by a doctor to change hormone levels in the body. This is usually estrogen in the case of MtFs or testosterone in the case of FtMs. Other hormones may also be prescribed to bring levels to a defined gender norm.
- Born with both sexes, often with partial and not complete organs. The old non-politically-correct term was "Hermaphrodite".
- Intense Pulsed Light/IPL
- A non permanent method of hair removal using a high intensity pulse of light to kill the follicles.
- A medical-grade laser, in the red visible spectrum, used to essentially 'cook' the follicle and kill it. Only works on dark hair, not blonde, white or gray.
- Acronym for Lesbian Gay Bisexual TransGender.
- M2F, MtF
- A person who was born a male physically but transitions to a female.
- Removing and or rearranging tissue in the breast area.
- The surgical release and repositioning of the enlarged clitoral tissue forming a neo-penis. The tissue is enlarged from the effect of male hormone replacement.
- The removal of the testicles (some times called poor-girl's SRS).
- All kinds of sexuality, not limited to or inhibited by sexual choice, gender or practice.
- Part Time
- Living openly as a member of the opposite biological sex only part of one's life, the rest of the time living in hiding or secret (closeted).
- The surgical construction of a penis.
- Post Op, Post, "Post-Operation"
- Has had SRS/surgery(s).
- A person who is attracted to more than one gender or sex but not the same as "Pansexual" (pan is all, poly is many).
- Pre-Op, Non-Op, Pre-operation
- Before any or no surgeries/SRS done.
- RLE/Real Life Experience
- A process where transgendered people live full-time (usually 12-24 months) in their preferred gender identity for a period of time, often required before referrals for GRS/SRS
- Significant Other (wife, husband, girlfriend or boyfriend)
- Sexual Reassignment Surgery. Genital re-constructive surgery.
- Top surgery
- Breast implants (for MtF) or mastectomy (for FtM and not just removing tissue but rearranging and sculpting tissue).
- Tracheal Shave
- The surgical procedure for removing material from the thyroid cartilage, producing a more female appearance of the Adams apple area.
- Is an umbrella term that does not have a precise definition. It tends to include a very broad spectrum of gender-variances. Transgender does not imply any specific form of sexual orientation; TGs may identify as heterosexual, homosexual, bisexual, pansexual, polysexual or asexual.
- A person who is FtM, born physically female but identifies as being/is male.
- Someone who has transitioned and identifies with another gender/sex.
- Someone who dresses and acts as the opposite gender/sex for exhibitionism or show but not necessarily for personal reasons.
- A person who is MtF, born physically male but identifies as being/is female.
- Trans, Tranny, Shemale, Ladyboy
- Slang terms for transgendered. Sometimes/some countries can be offensive or pornographic in nature but not always.
- Transitioning from one gender to another. This can, but doesn’t always, include surgeries.
- A term that includes those looking for sex, dating, or just confrontational; abusive persons; and attention seekers in chatrooms.
- Twin Spirit
- Primarily Native American belief in both a male and female spirit inhabiting the same body.
- The procedure creating a neo-vagiana from the inversion of the skin of the penis and scrotum.
New WPATH standards: Summary article
Full WPATH standards
Judge Rejects Divorce for Transgender Pregnant Man
Read more: http://tinyurl.com/ch4v53f
Transgender Rights: Coming to a School Near You?
Read more: http://tinyurl.com/cctxt5x
December 3, 2012
"Trans scientific studies"
July 24, 2012
"Trans* people prominent in the military"
July 6, 2012
"Denver jails have new policies regarding transgender inmates"
June 29, 2012
"Massachusetts Equal Rights Act"
June 29, 2012
"How "Obamacare" effects the LGBT community"
June 29, 2012
"Chaz Bono to appear on Degrassi"
June 26, 2012
"Rhode Island passes hate crime bill"
June 13, 2012
"Ontario passes law to protect transgender people"
June 12, 2012
"Romney Blocked Anti-Bullying Guide Over Controversial Terms ‘Bisexual’ and ‘Transgender’"
May 8, 2012
"LGBT laws by state"
Info about legal status of being transgender in various jurisdictions goes here as well as information on subjects such as name changes, marriage, etc.
Police and Prison
Letters From a Therapist
Medical Information and Treatment
In this section you will find links to most of the medically related topics. News, new topics and updates will be added as I come across them.
Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) - In this section you'll find information regarding hormone treatments for both MTF's and FTM's.
Gender Reassignment Surgery (GRS/SRS) - In this section you'll find information regarding the various genital reassignment surgeries available for MTF's and FTM's.
Orchiectomy - In this section you'll find information regarding the surgical removal of the testes.
Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome - In this section you'll find information regarding Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome.
Intersexuality & Sex Chromosome Anomalies - In this section you'll find information regarding Intersexuality and it's various medical causes.
Klinefelter's Syndrome - In this section you'll find information regarding Klinefelter's Syndrome, one of the more common intersex conditions.
Cosmetic Surgery - In this section you'll find information regarding various non-genital related surgeries often, but not always, chosen by FTM's and MTF's.
Voice Surgery - In this section you'll find information regarding voice-related surgeries.
In Popular Culture
World Wide Web and the Internet
User Vinmeister suggested the following books:
"The Testosterone Files" (amazon.com) written by Max Wolf Valerio is a biography about an FTM.
"Parrotfish" (amazon.com) by Ellen Wittlinger for teens.
Soldier's Girl (amazon.com)
Boys Don't Cry (amazon.com)
The Crying Game (amazon.com)
Popular TV shows about TG's
Recent TV Interviews
Degrassi (imdb.com) has a FtM character Cisgender female 15-year-old Jordan Todosey
A Girl Like Me: The Gwen Araujo Story (imdb.com)
All in the Family had a regular guest star Female impersonator Beverly La'Salle played by Female impersonator Lori Shannon on 3 different episodes throught its run plus 1 in memory episode after a horrible murder. The show actually portrays Beverly in good light especially for the time early to mid 1970's. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lori_Shannon
As we find resources for each local area, we will post them here.
Should I? How did you do it and what happened?
What Happens? What Do I Need?
Standards of Care
What you and your family went through and your thoughts on family.
Cutting Edge Research
We will discuss the Law and political views about transgendered.
What is the Republican party's position on transgender?
What is the Democratic party's position on transgender?
What is the position of other political parties around the world?
Countries, places, times will be discussed here.
Not many religions support or accept Transgendered. I hope to discuss this and add as many examples as possible, the positive and the negatives.
Our goal is education and understanding and acceptance of all.