Food! (recipes)

Open discussion on any topic

Moderator: ForumMods

Dantor
Admin
Admin

Food! (recipes)

Post by Dantor » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:38 am

I know many of you are good cooks, and most of you like good food so I'd like to have a thread with your/our recipes to enjoy more and save more.

I'll start off with a simple recipe for "Pancakes"

I've always hated buying "pre-mix" when I know I can make it better and cheaper. I know many of you don't have the time to always do this but you can mix the dry ingredients ahead of time (just like pre-mix) and scoop out a cup or more (2 c, 3 c etc) and add the wet like you already do! and you'll save money and make better flapjacks!

Ingredients:
3/4 c. all purpose flour
1/4 c. wheat flour (gives it body and flavor)
2 T. sugar
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/4 t. salt
1 c. low fat buttermilk (or any kind of milk)
1 T. vegetable oil
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 t. vanilla extract
butter for griddle (can use oil)

Prep:
Combine flour(s) and next 4 ingredients (flour through salt, dry) in a large bowl, and make a well in center of mixture.

Combine buttermilk/milk, oil, egg, and vanilla in separate bowl, then add to flour mixture, stirring until barely lumpy. Do not over mix, small lumps are a good thing! (means I luff you! I bad)

Cook:
Spoon about 1/4 cup batter onto hot non stick griddle coated with butter. Turn pancakes when tops are covered with bubbles and edges look cooked.

Yield: serves 2 (unless your a big eater like me (tongue-out)
I double it for me and Kat. Enjoy!

TessaG

Re: Food! (recipes)

Post by TessaG » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:05 pm

I make a very similar recipe, except I seperate the egg, beat the eggwhites seperately,add the yolk with the other wet ingredients and then gently fold the eggwhites in very last. This makes for a very light pancake.
Great topic, btw.

Lindaj

Post by Lindaj » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:27 am

Wow both of those reciepes sound realy nice . I havent made home made panckaes in some time now . So I guess i need to get of my pan and onto the griddle soon and try and let you all know.

Dantor
Admin
Admin

Post by Dantor » Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:53 pm

Spanish Rice

my world famous.... okay my moms; world famous spanish rice!

1 c rice (medium grain best, but usually I use long grain)
2 cans (from empty tomato sauce 16 oz total) water or better chicken broth
1/4 c chopped onions (I use yellow)
1 can (8oz) tomato sauce
1 tbs oil
salt to taste
optional seasonings:
dash or 2 of adobo
pinch of chipotle (strong stuff)
if I use water only, I will put in 1 or 2 soup chicken cubes for flavor

In a large frying pan I crack/slightly brown the rice in oil.

When it just starts to brown I add onions, tomato sauce, broth/water (it'll sizzle), and spices, stir.

Bring to boil. Then lower heat, cover and let simmer for approximately 20 minutes or until
rice absorbs liquid and has a nice moist but not wet consistency.

Remove from heat and serve.

SheliMarie

Post by SheliMarie » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:08 am

Well since Dantor started out with breakfast, LOL here are a couple from the chef gal.

French Toast

3 eggs beaten
2Tbs Sugar
1 tsp vanilla or almond extract
1 loaf older french bread, cut into 2in thick pieces
butter or oil

place your butter or oil in a hot pan, place the bread in the egg mixture, (note! the dryer the bread, the more it will absorb the mixture.)
Place bread in the hot oil and cook untill golden brown, flip and cook the same on opisit side.
you can use suryp, sorgum. or fruit to complete your toast.

2nd note! by adding milk to your egg mix will just result in a soggy toast. most feel you have to add the milk because thats the way you were taught, but try it this way, you will never go back to adding milk/

SheliMarie

Sasuage gravy

Post by SheliMarie » Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:15 am

Sasuage Gravy

brown off your favorite breakfast sasuage, I have found bulk is the best.
add2/3 Tbs flour to your browned sasuage, (and leave the grease in the pan when doing this)
stir constantly to acheive the desired brown ness of the flour. add a little garlic, seasoning salt and black pepper.
Now I use FULL FLAVOR butter milk here. add aprox 2 C of the milk and stir, stir, stir. It will thicken as the milk reaches a cooking temp. Add a little more milk if needed to aquire desired thickness.
Place over your favorite biscuit recipe, or even toast.

TessaG

Post by TessaG » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:56 am

All these sound delicious!

SheliMarie

sweet potatoe and bananna bake

Post by SheliMarie » Thu May 13, 2010 3:14 pm

Ingredients

* 5 medium sweet potatoes, scrubbed
* 4 bananas, unpeeled
* 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
* 1/4 cup honey
* Kosher salt
* 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
* 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
* 1 1/2 cups pecans, chopped

Directions

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

Prick the sweet potatoes all over with a fork, put them in a roasting pan and roast for 30 minutes. Toss the bananas into the pan and continue roasting for 10 to 15 minutes, until both the bananas and potatoes are very soft. Remove the pan from the oven but don't turn the oven off.

When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, scoop out the flesh into a large mixing bowl. Peel the bananas and add them to the bowl along with 1 stick of the butter, and the honey. Season with salt and beat vigorously with a wooden spoon until everything's well combined and the mixture is fluffy. Spoon into an oven-proof serving bowl and smooth the top.

In a separate mixing bowl, use your fingers to rub together the remaining stick of butter, the brown sugar, flour, and pecans until the mixture is the consistency of coarse crumbs. Sprinkle the crumb mixture over the sweet potatoes and return to the oven. Cook for about 20 minutes, until the crumbs are golden. Serve hot.

SheliMarie

Steamed Broccoli with garlic walnut butter

Post by SheliMarie » Thu May 13, 2010 3:16 pm

Fresh Steamed Broccoli with Garlic Walnut Butter

1 bunch fresh broccoli, cleaned, and cut into florets
One quarter cup butter
2 cloves garlic, minced
One quarter cup walnut, crushed

Steam broccoli florets until crisp tender; meanwhile, saute garlic in butter in a saucepan, then add walnuts and stir. When broccoli is just done, remove from steamer and place on a serving platter. Pour butter/walnut mixture over broccoli and toss slightly.

SheliMarie

fresh aspargrass with lemon cream sauce

Post by SheliMarie » Thu May 13, 2010 3:18 pm

Fresh Asparagus with Lemon Cream Sauce

2 pounds fresh asparagus
1 cup light cream
2 Tbsp. butter
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. fresh mint, chopped
1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
1 tsp. lemon juice
One quarter tsp. ground nutmeg

Gently break tough ends off each asparagus spear. Steam until crisp tender and place on a platter. In a saucepan, combine cream, butter, salt, and mint together and bring to a boil. Stirring constantly, let mixture boil for about 5 minutes so it can reduce. Reduce heat to low. When mixture has cooled down some, add egg and lemon juice and mix well. Continue to cook over low heat for about 10 minutes to make sure egg yolk cooks. Pour over asparagus and sprinkle with nutmeg. Serve immediately.