Gender Words

Open discussion on any topic

Moderator: ForumMods

ShannonK

Gender Words

Post by ShannonK » Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:28 pm

I have been thinking today, about gender words, specifically about the words boi and gurl. Boi is fine really it kind of has a cute feel to it, and really, most of the people who identify as bois are pretty darn cute. Gurl is the one that sort of does not work for me as far as words go. It just looks ugly written out, not to mention a flaw with both words is that they are homophones and indistinguishable when spoken, unless someone really lays into that u sound. Yes I know man and woman work just fine for a large portion of the population. Some of us however need a little something extra. We need some middle ground. This is not an easy task though, because in order for it to really do what a word needs to do, it basically needs to go viral, so to speak. We need words that are going to become the next selfie or tweet. Words like that just do not come around often. We can however, look to words like these to get our clues for what our words need to be like, in order to catch on. First off they need to be simple, both of these examples are one or two syllables. We are essentially trying to create slang, and slang need to be short and lazy. Second we need words that are somehow reminiscent of our target idea, a selfie is a picture taken of one’s self, hence the root word self. A tweet is a post made on the social media Twitter. Notice the similarity in consonants, between the name of the company, and the act of posting to it.In the case of *tweet* and we have simply repurposed other words. For me I kind of like the word doll for an in between of gender neutral and full on Woman. I could certainly go with it. Someone asks me what gender I am, and I simply tell them “I’m a Doll.” It invokes a mental image, with a feminine connotation, but if you think about your childhood most of the dolls a little girl plays with, are not anatomically correct down there. In the end, it will most likely not be me who coins the next catchword, but someone much more popular and visible in the wider world. For now all I can give you is some food for thought, what words would you pick?