Name change in Indiana

Names and links of places to get the information and care you need

Moderator: ForumMods

drew

Name change in Indiana

Post by drew » Sat Sep 24, 2011 7:38 pm

The process of changing ones name is actually easy in indiana as long as you follow it to the letter of the law. I started this process by googling name change in indiana. the link ishttp://www.in.gov/judiciary/selfservice ... hange.html . I chose the electronic fillable packet. once i filled in all the blanks, i printed all the pages. I took them to the courthouse and filled with the county clerks office. My filing fee was $125. I then had to go to the local newspaper office. the notice i had to file for my name change was $80. I will say the newspaper office made a mistake and did not run my notice correctly. i was not aware of what was supposed to be in the listing so i ended up having to run my notice twice. that is why it took me from may till september to get my name changed. the small town i live in decided to print my whole petition in the paper including my reason for name change. i thing find out after it ran for the whole county to see that the only things indiana law requires for publication is your current legal name, the name you wish to change it to, the name of the court in which you have filed (case number and date if you know it) and a statement that says anyone who wishes to contest the name change has the right to appear in court.
after the ad ran for three weeks, my court date has to be atleast thirty days after the last publication. once my court date came. i went before the judge. he swore me in and asked the same questions that was on the petetion. he asked me what my birth name was, birthday, social securtiy number, if i have a passport and had to present it to the court, if i am a felon, if i have any pending judgements, if i am a sex offender, and why i am requesting a name change. after i answered all the questions he signed my order and i walked out the court room Mr. Walker.

if anyone has any questions please feel free to ask me. i will help out if i can.