MtF Makeup Tips - Contour and Blush

Fashion and tips for looking your best

Moderator: ForumMods

metaltasha

MtF Makeup Tips - Contour and Blush

Post by metaltasha » Mon Jan 20, 2014 2:08 am

Alright, so the last posts covered buying concealer and powder and then applying it. This post will cover contour and blush! Contour is a bronzer used to give the illusion of depth. It can come as a powder or cream. When used properly it can accentuate your cheekbones, shape your jawline, and make your nose appear thinner. Blush is a rosy pink powder or cream thats also used to accentuate your cheekbones but in a different way...it gives your face more of a glow. So, lets get started!

These are the tools I use for blush and contouring. My brushes on top, setting spray on the left, contour in the middle, blush on the right.

Ok, so we have a fresh canvas to work with...for the sake of showing progress, heres a before shot with just foundation and powder. So, Im making a fish face to show the location of my cheekbones, which is a good guide to work with while you learn your technique...
Image Image

So were gonna start with the contour, and starting at the tragus,(the part of your ear above the lobe, look it up if you have to) work your way down the jaw to the mouth. You want to stay just below the cheekbone line. Its most likely going to look a little harsh, as were not blending anything really...try not to fret as we will smooth things out in a little bit. Takes a little practice, but you should come out with a finished product more or less similar to this...
Image Image

The picture makes it look a little less intense, but in actuality its actually quite dark. Remember that we are going to lessen the intensity and just stick with it! Next were going to move on to blush! The blush is going to be applied the opposite direction. Starting with the apple of your cheek(right under your eye, the most prominent area) going toward your tragus. You want to follow the cheekbone above the contour while slightly overlapping it. This fades the line between the contour and blush. In the end your product will look more or less like this...
Image Image

Again, that last picture is way more intense than it looks, you can kinda see the harsh differences in pigments, which is what we are about to smooth out with out setting powder. Same stuff we use for the concealer. Get a little on the powderpuff and dab it over the contour/blush a couple times and then lightly rub it in to set. Use a few coats of your setting spray for maximum staying power. But first, Im going to give you a bonus lesson in nose contouring. This is just a little trick to make your nose appear thinner. Using a smaller brush, we just apply a little contour to either side of the bridge of our nose. Vertically. It takes a little practice, but super quick and easy! You should have a finished product similar to this...
Image Image

The nose contouring didn't show up as well as I had hoped, but you can still see it barely, I messed up my right side a little bit... You can see the difference now that I have put a little powder over the blush and concealer, making it less of an intense difference in pigments between the blush, contour and the color of my face. And that concludes today's lesson...I hope this helps! Remember to practice! Then practice again, and practice some more!!!

<3 Tasha