A normal childhood

Support for TGs raising children

Moderator: ForumMods

deanna
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

A normal childhood

Post by deanna » Mon May 31, 2010 6:57 pm

I was talking to a friend about how i wanted to take my children fishing over the holiday weekend and made the comment that I wanted them to have as "normal" a childhood as they could have. My friend then asked me exactly what is a "normal" childhood. This is a good question what does make a normal childhood? Is a normal childhood the Norman Rockwell portrait of the Father and Mother with the 3 children swimming in the local pond? I never met this family. Is it the single parent working long hours with their kids coming home to an empty house waiting the hours till their parent got home from the overtime they had to work to pay the bills? This i seen too much but no i still don't think this is the "normal" I am looking for either. In my case the "normal" I am trying to provide for my children probably doesn't have much to do with what others would consider normal. Two mothers or at least that's how i hope we are seen. Is this the "normal" that others would consider? Probably not, but it's the best i know how to do. That lie of Norman Rockwell's perfect family wasn't a reality for me even with a mother and father that loved me. It will not be a reality for my children. But my hope is that after all is said and done, my children will look back and have a laugh, have a cry and know we did the best we could and maybe even if their normal was different than their friends it will be looked back at thru the eyes of love and will give them some road map of how to raise there family's with dignity love and understanding.

Deb-e
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Re: A normal childhood

Post by Deb-e » Mon May 31, 2010 8:19 pm

Beautifully Said!

oku888

Re: A normal childhood

Post by oku888 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:41 pm

hope to hear more talks like this ;)