MtF Makeup Tips - Just Starting!

Fashion and tips for looking your best

Moderator: ForumMods

metaltasha

MtF Makeup Tips - Just Starting!

Post by metaltasha » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:14 pm

So...makeup! This is an amazing hobby. Ive been using makeup since high school about 12 years ago. Its fun, it can boost your confidence, and enhance your already existing beauty! Now, I say enhance because makeup is just that. An enhancement. An extension of your looks. We dont use makeup as a crutch. We cant really...without looking up exaggerated. Clownish almost. Think of the prepubescent girl that gets her first dollar-store makeup kit. That being said, the main rule of makeup is, Less is More.

These guides will be more advanced as we go, so today Ill start off with the most basic tutorials and tips...text only this time, next post will be complete with pictures.

Lets start with covering that facial hair shall we? If you want to pass and you cant afford laser/electro, this will be your bread and butter.

Concealer/Foundation-
Facial hair is tricky but easily circumvented. I say tricky, because with normal foundations, it still shows. You have to realize that its not about covering it so much as it is about balancing the color. Dark facial hair appears blue under your skin. Red is the opposite of blue, which is what we are going to look for when choosing the proper concealer. Instead of trying to match your skin tone like our cisgender sisters have to, we need to lean toward a copper-iron-ish shade. Not too red, just a little more orange than your skin. This is gonna take a little trial and error to get the color right, so dont give up! The concealer I used to use was movie-quality special effects makeup. This stuff is so strong it can cover black-ink tattoos. Its called Dermacolor by Kryolan. Its about $30 US for 30g. Its thick like clay, and it lasts a long time, because a little goes a long way. I highly recommend it if you can afford it.

If you cant afford this right away or live on a smaller budget, you can use red lipstick and regular foundation, which Ill cover more in the next post. The main thing to remember is red eats blue. OM NOM NOM.

Setting Powder-
Foundations and Concealers are oily. After wearing them all day, they get even MORE oily. This is why powder is so important. Without it, our concealer would get EVERYWHERE. Like on our dates face when you kiss him/her. SO not cool! Since your layer of concealer is most likely orange-ish, youre gonna need your powder to match your skin tone as much as possible. Some of the best setting powder is made by Revlon. Its from the Colorstay collection. I suggest translucent mineral powder. If you cant find your shade, you might have to mix powders.

Starting off in makeup is daunting, there is a lot to know! The main thing to remember is it takes a LOT of practice. None of us just wake up with these skills. Hell, it took me most of high school just to master my eye makeup!

The next post will cover how to apply, blend and feather your foundations and powders, complete with pictures!

Please post any questions you have and I would love to answer them!

<3 Tasha

Dantor
Admin
Admin

Re: MtF Makeup Tips - Just Starting!

Post by Dantor » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:01 pm

Thank you Tasha! (bows) :)

Peyton

Post by Peyton » Sat Jan 18, 2014 3:05 am

Thanks Tasha, look forward to your next post. Peyton. :)

matthewkevin

Post by matthewkevin » Mon Mar 09, 2015 1:54 am

Thanks for sharing this useful information. Definitely I will share this makeup tips to everyone. Also will you suggest me some makeup products and tools.

twink

Post by twink » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:20 pm

Fascinating post :!: Thanks.

ruby2u

Post by ruby2u » Sun Jun 26, 2016 7:48 am

thanks great help

patty691

Post by patty691 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:34 am

:roll: I have a heck of a time putting make up on sometimes