Name change in Ohio part 2

Names and links of places to get the information and care you need

Moderator: ForumMods

deanna
Senior Staff
Senior Staff

Name change in Ohio part 2

Post by deanna » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:32 pm

Following up on my previous post. Today was finally the day of my court hearing for my name change. Picked up my friend Carol for moral suport (thanks carol hug) and stopped off to get a bite to eat before it was time for the appointment. Yeah I was way too early big surprise there but after a stop for food we made our way to the court house with 15 minutes left till my appointment. Went in and asked where I was suppose to go and was told to wait in the hall way and a bailiff wound be out to get me. Thirty minutes or so later was taken to the court room. Me, Carol the bailiff and the judge we the only ones there. the balliff took my paperwork and my drivers ID for the judge to see. She read all the legal stuff into the record ask me to state my legal name for the court and confirmed it from my ID then ask me if i had lived in the county for the last year. Which I stated that i had. She then looked at the reason for name change on the form (to better align with my identity) looked up and went yeah can see that. stated for the record that everything was in order and told me Congradulations Mrs Boggs sent me next door for the 2 copies of the order supplied by the court and I requested two more for $4 more. Probable took all of 5 minute after i got in to see the judge. From there a trip to the DMV for my ID change. A few forms and 20 min later I was legal with a brand new shiny pink drivers ID. All in all was a very easy process from begining to end I was treated with dignity from start to finish. If you need to do a name change in the state of ohio don't bother with a lawyer process is straight forward and easy to do on your own with no legal training.

Dantor
Admin
Admin

Re: Name change in Ohio part 2

Post by Dantor » Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:27 pm

wow that is so cool Deanna~! HUGZ and Congrats

now I wanna change my name to "Spike"! :D

greeneggs

Re: Name change in Ohio part 2

Post by greeneggs » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:22 pm

Thats pretty cool and I am glad it went smoothly for you. I am wanting to change my name soon as well, but am worried about it because i have a college that isnt completely paid for and a few other debts...do you know if it will affect getting my name changed right away? Im worried I will be denied because not everything is payed off. I am doing a complete name change is why Im asking, first and last because right now I carry my late stepfathers last name of whom I had a horrible relationship with while he was alive and I would like to change my last name to my late fathers name instead. So just thinking about the fact that I may be denied has scared me to the point of procrastinating getting the fingerprints done and sent in, but right now I feel like Im living two lives and it sucks. So if you know or anyone knows if debts will prolong a name change, could you please let me know? Thanks.